Our Story

How it all started...

The First Baptist Church was organized in 1914 when Mr. Samuel Large gave the ground for the church and cemetery located on  Middle Creek Road opposite the present country club and golf course. The building was soon built. Charter members included Householders, Robertsons, Lovedays, Marshalls, and Franklins. Soon there were others. Mr. Perman Franklin was the first Sunday School Superintendent. S.C. Atchley was the first Pastor, and Hiram Franklin was the First Church Clerk and Treasurer. The dedication service was held in October 1914.

The congregation broke ground on the current sanctuary building on the Gatlinburg Highway (now Parkway) on April 5, 1959. Over 800 people could sit in the new sanctuary and over 400 people could use the education building at one time.  The church building was dedicated on April 3, 1960. A new educational building was built in 1975.

The old bell from the original site was bought by Mr. Wayne Ogle, a member of First Baptist Church, when he bought the old structure and dismantled it. After many years, Mr. Ogle returned the bell to the church where it was sanded and polished and set in the middle of a mini park in front of the church on the Parkway.

Expanding the vision...

As we move through the 21st century, FBCPF is making plans to stay relevant in the community in these times.
Visit our REFOCUS page for more information about our discerning God's plans for FBCPF.